Have you ever had a brilliant idea, the very thought of the idea excited you, made you feel enthusiastic that it would make a difference in your life or the life of others. Then you nurtured the idea and it grew with opportunities and possibilities.
The more you thought about it the more excited it made you when you wanted to start implementing the idea, it suddenly occurred that:
1. I do not have enough time
2. I did not have enough opportunities
3. I do not know the right people (Contacts or network)
4. I do not have enough wealth
5. I do not want to risk offending people
6. I do not know how to do it? (lack of knowledge)
7. What happens if I fail or it does not work out?
8. What if I get rejected or people do not approve?
All of a sudden, the enthusiasm was knocked out of you. From an idea that excited you, now it seemed like a hollow dream that could never be achieved.
What changed?
“People with a scarcity mentality tend to see everything in terms of win-lose. There is only so much; and if someone else has it, that means there will be less for me..” Stephen Covey
A simple shift in thinking from abundance to scarcity, a shift from what “I can do” to “Is this possible?” The more you begin to think about it, the doubt grows and all of a sudden something that seemed possible now seems impossible. Then the idea is allowed to die and Rest in Peace.
“An abundance mentality springs from internal security, not from external rankings, comparisons, opinions, possessions, or associations.”- Stephen Covey
The below table shows how people with scarcity and abundance think:
Scarcity
|
Abundance
|
No one has done this before, it can’t be done
|
This is a new opportunity for me
|
Focus on what is missing
|
Focus on what can be done
|
Wait for opportunities (then complain about the timing of the opportunity)
|
Create and find opportunities
|
Fear or Oppose change
|
Embrace change
|
Know it all
|
Continuously learn and grow(Continuously curious)
|
Feeling that things can’t change
|
Express ideas for change
|
Does not set or follow plans, then blames others for mistakes and failures
|
Make plans and set personal goals
|
Secretly hopes that other people fail
|
See’s the best in others and inspires others
|
“True abundance is feeling worthy enough to believe beyond what you can see. Expect miracles and they will manifest.”- Sarah Prout
Overcoming Scarcity mentality:
1. Negative thinking: Great ideas will always be met with great opposition (internally and externally). Despite fear and doubts, I must take action towards implementing my ideas.
2. Focus: Always focus on what I can do and what I can accomplish. When encountered with negativity and doubt, I need to shift my focus on what I can do.
3. Gratitude: Shifting my mind back to what I have enables me to realize the resources and gifts that I currently have in my possession.
4. Action: Taking action despite insecurity, doubt, and fear.
5. Learning: Learn from results and improve on my actions. Learning how to convert an adversity to opportunity, by learning from my mistakes or failures.
6. Environment: surround myself with achievers who consistently have a “Can do” mentality.
No comments:
Post a Comment